Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Demise of The Clutch?

After a long break I am back blogging. The break was fully justified: I was busy selling my jewellery and handbags to bewildered Christmas shoppers. I almost sold out and was horrified to discover that women are becoming either too sensible or losing the plot! They prefer a bag with handles to a clutch!!! Have they all gone blind and oblivious to the sex appeal of the timeless clutch?

I have always had clutches in my closet, fashion trends or not. When I was a student, I reclaimed one of my mother’s forgotten handbags, took the strap off it and turned it into a slinky small clutch. And guess what? I went to lectures with it! It barely fit two fat notebooks and a pen in it but I was happy. The seams burst under the weight of knowledge but by then I had found an oversized red patent leather heart-stopping clutch.

In my new collection of recycled handbags I have a number of oversized clutches and adorable small vintage ones, which I embellish with recycled textiles. They sell but slower and with an extra push. Younger girls seem to be more attracted to them and some fashion savvy gals, like Alice of Quirky Fashion. But many others are worried they’d lose a clutch in a pub crawl and say they need their hands free for a pint and a ciggie. But wouldn’t you rather hold a sexy clutch in your hand than a pint, girls?!



3 comments:

  1. I love clutches, they make everything around look chic!!

    Thanks for visitng my blog, you have amazing pieces here:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for the beautful clutch! It matched my outfit perfectly and was a great accessory for the races! I put some pictures of it on my blog!

    http://quirkyfashion.com/2010/01/08/ladies-day-at-leopardstown-races/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice, you looked fantastic! The clutch, the coat and that amazing hat! Love it!

    ReplyDelete